Albanien 56 72m

Am 4 Juni 1916 wurde die Albanien durch das italienische U-Boot Atropo per Torpedotreffer versenkt. Der Torpedotreffer ist am Heck auf der Steuerboardseite.
Heute steht die Albanien aufrecht in 72m Tiefe auf dem Grund, als ob sie wegfahren möchte.

At the beginning of the First World War the Austro-Hungarian merchant navy owned 501 steam ships (253 large open sea ships, 22 large coastal ships and 226 small shore sailing ships) with a total of 1,035,611 BRT and 12,110 crew members. About eighty percent of sailors came from coastal areas, mostly from the Croatian coast and Dalmacija. At the beginning of the war part of the large ships were sailing foreign waters, where they were interned and then confiscated, while numerous steam ships avoided such fate remaining in Trieste and Rijeka and in safe bays on the Adriatic coast, such as Bačkar Bay, Prukljan Lake and the Novigrad Sea. After Italy entered the war on the side of the Allied Powers on May 23, 1915, ships from Trieste were also sent to the south, but a number of steamers were leased to the navy and the land army and were used for transport or patrol purposes.

One of the steam ships, Albanien, built in 1910 in Trieste at the the Stabilimento Tecnico Triestino (STT) shipyard, together with the twin ship named Adelsberg, belonged to shipping company Austrian Lloyd (Lloyd Austriaco, Österreichischer Lloyd) based in Trieste. It had 1122 BRT and 517 NRT, was 66 m long and 9.7 m wide and the hull height was 4.8 m. She was powered by the steam engine with 1350 hp (992.6 kW) reaching the speed up to 12 knots and could carry 150 tons of coal for the boilers. She could embark 1010 tons of cargo and transport 44 passengers, 22 in the first and second class. Until the beginning of the war she served short coastal cruises, and then was anchored at Prukljan Lake until 1916 when she was hired for local military transports along the Adriatic coast. Her last voyage was a cargo of hay from Zelenik.

In the early morning of June 4, 1916, at about 6:45 am, the ship was around five nautical miles south of the Dolfin islet, along the northwestern tip of Pag, where she was spotted by the Italian submarine Atropo commanded by Lieutenant Giotto Maraghini. This was quite modern submarine, with 231 tons of surface and 315 t of underwater displacement, and unlike other Italian submarines, this one was built in 1913 at the German shipyard in Kiel, Germany. It was armed with two torpedo tubes and four 450 mm torpedoes. She belonged to the Italian 1st underwater fleet based in Venice and operated in the northern Adriatic during the war. During her patrol in June 1916, Nazario Sauro, an Austrian naval captain of Italian origin, was on board helping to navigate around the Adriatic islands.

The Albanien, commanded by naval captain Antun Scampicchio, was hit by two torpedoes and sank quickly. According to the official documents there were no casualties. However, some sources mention five or three crew members, one of whom was the third chief officer, and some engine room crew members that had been trapped by the explosion of the torpedoes and did not manage to save themselves.

It is interesting that also the twin-ship-twin Adelsberg did not survive the war. She was sunk by a mine 16 days after the loss of Albanien, on June 20, 1916.

The Atropo submarine was unique, as it was built in Germany, had double hull, top speed of 14 knots. She was the first Italian sub equipped with radio and the first Italian sub that sunk enemy ship. At the end of the war Atropo was used only for specific tasks, such as protecting the Corsini port near Ravenna. She was written off in 1919.

The wreck of the steamer Albanien lies at the depth is 72 meters. It lies close to the coast where visibility is better than on other wrecks in Kvarneric mainly because fishing is not allowed in this area, and nets do not rise the sediments. The Italian divers of the WDS dove Albanien in 1999 and 2000, and found that the wreck struck the rocks with its stern. It lies on a sandy and muddy bottom, and is relatively well accessible. The deck is well preserved, the stern is damaged, but the two masts and a part of the superstructure still stand in their places, as well as the ship's reflector.

Name: SS Albanien

Stapellauf: 1910
Werft: STT-Triest
Schiffsrumpf: Eisen – Zwei Master
Maße: 66m lang; 10,1m breit
Wasserverdrängung: Bruttoregistertonne 1122
Motor: 1350 PS; 1 Schraube; 12 Knoten
Untergang: 04. Juni 1916
Tauchtiefe: 56 – 72m

Historische Bemerkung

Am 4 Juni 1916 wurde die Albanien durch das italienische U-Boot Atropo per Torpedotreffer versenkt. Der Torpedotreffer ist am Heck auf der Steuerboardseite.
Heute steht die Albanien aufrecht in 72m Tiefe auf dem Grund, als ob sie wegfahren möchte.

See more pictures